FBI Agents Shoot and Kill Armed Man in Minneapolis Standoff

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) shot and killed a man, identified as Chue Feng Yang, during a standoff at a home in north Minneapolis on Thursday. Yang, also known as Kevin, had barricaded himself inside the residence for several hours, livestreaming his negotiations with law enforcement, before emerging armed and with a woman tied to him. According to a federal affidavit, Yang had three outstanding felony warrants for his arrest at the time of his death. His criminal history included convictions for terroristic threats, burglary, illegal firearm possession, and auto theft.

The shooting took place at around noon in the 3700 block of Dupont Avenue N. when a SWAT team from the FBI was serving an arrest warrant. Yang had claimed on Facebook Live that he had a gun and would shoot if agents entered his home. At some point during the standoff, he posted on Facebook, “I love you guys. Please be good to one another.”

The FBI statement read, “After barricading himself for several hours, the subject was armed as he emerged from the home. The subject was fatally wounded, and another individual required medical assistance. Both were transported to the hospital.” Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara and Hennepin County Sheriff Dawanna Witt were on the scene, and the FBI arrived there at around 5 a.m. Minneapolis officers were acting as backup but were otherwise not involved in the incident.

Yang livestreamed himself twice during the standoff, in which a woman who appears to be Raylean Gurneau, 26, occasionally appears with him. According to the FBI agent’s affidavit for a federal search and seizure warrant, Gurneau was being treated at North Memorial Health for an apparent fentanyl overdose and was reported in stable condition.

The FBI agents could see that Yang was armed with a sawed-off shotgun, and he told them that he had bombs and would detonate them if agents entered his home. He also claimed that he hoped the FBI brought ‘body bags.’ Yang went outside the house with the woman tied to him, and several gunshots immediately followed. The woman who was tied to Yang required medical assistance and was also taken to the hospital.

It is clear from his own social media posts that Yang was armed during the incident. His criminal record and the fact that he had outstanding felony warrants for his arrest make it clear that the FBI acted appropriately in serving an arrest warrant and responding to the situation as they did. While it is always tragic when a situation like this results in a loss of life, law enforcement must take action to protect themselves and others when faced with individuals who are armed and dangerous.

Related Articles


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *